Why would anyone want to become a doctor?

edited August 1 in Medicine

'I remember very clearly an incident during my community service, when I walked into the trauma unit at a day hospital in Cape Town one morning and found a patient lying on the trolley, bleeding profusely from a knife wound. I picked up the patient’s file and read: stab wound to the chest — assault. This was after I had already spent the entire weekend at the hospital, working two full night shifts from 7pm to 7am attending to similar cases.

Holding the file in my hands I wondered what on earth I was doing there. This had become a pattern, day in and day out. After enduring this relentless onslaught for months on end, I was close to breaking point. It was at that point that I decided I wanted out as soon as my year of community service was over. Five months later I exited through the dusty swinging doors of the day hospital and vowed never to return to state medicine.'

Click to read the full article by Dr Owen Wiese at thoughtleader.co.za

Comments are closed for this post - Please comment at the original link posted above if you would like to contribute to the discussion.

This discussion has been closed.